Motorists, especially beginners, do not always know exactly how to check the engine oil level. The easiest way to send a car to the service station. But if you need to cope with the task yourself, we recommend that you read this article to the end.
Rules for checking the engine oil level
Before starting work, the car must be placed on a flat platform and warm up the engine. Then wait a few minutes for the oil to drain into the crankcase and get down to business.
The primary tool for checking the engine oil level is the dipstick. It is a small rod marked “Min” and “Max.”
Engine oil dipstick
Typically, the device is located under the hood next to the head of the unit. The handle is painted in a bright color to make it easy to notice.
In addition to the probe, you need to stock up on clean rags that do not leave fibers and clean paper towels.
The oil level check procedure is quick and easy if you follow the instructions below.
- Often the difficulty raises the question – when a hot or cold engine does check? Therefore, we read the manual for the car. Relevant directions should be mentioned there. Although it is believed that it is more efficient to do this after driving, on a hot engine, as this will make the oil less viscous.
- The fluid in the motor should be evenly distributed, so after warming up the engine, let the machine stand for 10-15 minutes.
- We open the hood and fix it in the open position with the support of the auto model does not provide for automatic fixation.
- We take out the probe. The pen will be painted red, yellow, or orange. Sometimes a special icon in the form of an old oil lamp indicates the location of the dipstick.
- After removing the dipstick, you need to evaluate the color and consistency of the oily liquid. If it has a yellow-green tint, the condition is satisfactory and does not require replacement. When the grease turns dark brown or black, it’s time to change it. How to choose the right oil, read this article.
- It is better to check the oil level twice. Before re-immersing, the probe, wipe it with a rag.
- Estimate the fluid level. With an average oil volume, the imprint of its film will be approximately in the middle between the “Min” and “Max” marks on the dipstick. If the target is beyond the limits, intervention is required to avoid trouble.
To get more ideas, you can visit https://oil-advisor.com/best-oil-filter-for-synthetic-oil/